November 15, 2013

CMA Members Testify at Cable Compliance Hearing


CMA Members Grady Davis and Carole Herhold testified on November 13 at the Cable Compliance Review held by Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Commissioner Rosemary Krimbel and Deputy Commissioner Jim McVane.  Representatives of Comcast, RCN, and CAN TV were also present.

Chicago City Hall
Grady testified that his involvement with CAN TV began in 2007, when Tuskegee Airmen’s Chicago Chapter produced a mini-series.  He continued his involvement after that because he found he really liked working in the medium.

He said, “I’m not speaking for Tuskegee Airmen.  I’m not speaking for CAN TV.  I’m speaking for Grady Davis.  I’m an independent producer committed to doing my best to promote things in my community through my program, ‘Grady’s Notebook.’”  Grady’s show features positive stories from his community, such as an interview he did with Quentin Edwards, a Rhodes Scholar headed for four years of study in Europe. Grady also does a 34th Ward report to record town hall meetings held by Alderman Carrie Austin.  He said, “I’m not on the Alderman’s staff.  I do this because of my concern for the 34th ward.  I live there.”

Grady said that he is concerned about parity and funding for the public’s channels.  He wants to see the training at CAN TV expand and noted the creativity of the local residents that produce programs through CAN TV.  He closed by saying, “I thank you for the opportunity to speak with you today.  I wanted to come and do that in my own words as a proud member of the Committee for Media Access and an independent producer.”

Carole Herhold also testified and noted that Grady had been an inspiration to her as is his program.  As an avid viewer of community programming, Carole noted that she is in the 30% of the populace that are not online at home.  And she is very aware of the importance of reaching people where they are.  Regarding the Comcast renewal she said, “Funding is needed for people and training.  Parity is important.”

No comments:

Post a Comment